What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of tax returns. It's an important service to millions of individuals and families in this country with low-to-moderate incomes who are eligible for tax credits. United Way of Racine County VITA also focuses on serving limited English speaking tax payers. In order to best serve these individuals, we need the support of bi-lingual volunteers.
See our volunteers in action! Visit the VITA volunteer impact photo gallery.
- Greeters welcome tax filers to the VITA site and ensure that the tax filers have all necessary information to complete their tax returns. Greeters may also assist the program coordinator/site coordinator with administrative tasks. No tax certification is required.
- Bi-lingual interpreters work alongside clients and the preparers for a streamlined process. No tax certification is required.
- Intake specialists help to organize and contact virtual VITA clients and may assist clients at a Valet VITA (drop-off) site. Tax certification is preferred but not required. Virtual volunteers must have access to a laptop with updated antivirus and reliable internet.
- Tax preparers must complete training and certification at a basic or advanced level. No experience necessary. Self-paced training is web-based, free, and can be completed on your own time, at your own pace. Optional tax certification prep classes are available virtually through Florida Prosperity Partnership (FPP) to ensure you are prepared for the Advanced Certification Exam. Classes are free to volunteers and offered at a variety of times from November through February.
- Quality reviewers work with the client to review the finished return. They are quality control for the returns that are completed. Advanced tax certification is preferred. This position can be done virtually or in-person. Optional tax certification prep classes are available virtually through Florida Prosperity Partnership (FPP) to ensure you are prepared for the Advanced Certification Exam. Classes are free to volunteers and offered at a variety of times from November through February. Additional QR training provided.
- Site coordinator/assistant site coordinator is in charge of ensuring site requirements are met and that the site is functioning as it should. This person would take lead at the site when the Program Coordinator is not on site. Optional tax certification prep classes are available virtually through Florida Prosperity Partnership (FPP) to ensure you are prepared for the Advanced Certification Exam. Classes are free to volunteers and offered at a variety of times from November through February. Advance certification is required and additional site coordinator training will be provided.
2022 Racine in-person and Valet VITA tax sites
- We are still working on the plan to have limited in-person sites/services including full service sites and Valet VITA (drop-off) locations. Volunteers will be able to select if they have a preference for virtual or in-person volunteer opportunities.
Virtual VITA team
We will offer virtual tax preparation during the 2022 tax season. By partnering with Code for America and GetYourRefund.org, we can offer free tax preparation by IRS certified volunteers from the safety of home. Volunteers will log on from home and prepare taxes during virtual site times. Preparers will be required to have access to secure internet and an available laptop or desktop with updated virus protection. The following virtual volunteer positions are available.
- Site coordinator
- Tax preparer
- Quality reviewer
- Intake specialist
- No experience required. We provide all necessary training. Virtual tax certification prep classes will be offered through Florida Prosperity Partnership (FPP) to prepare you to take and pass the Advanced Certification Exam. All trainings are offered free of cost to the volunteer and are offered at a variety of times to fit into your schedule. Additional training and practice opportunities will be offered virtually through United Way of Racine County to ensure that volunteers are prepared and comfortable to start their role with the VITA program.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one shift per week (minimum of 2 hours) during tax season (January 24, 2022 through April 15, 2022). The site schedule is still unknown at this time. Please select your availability in the application. You will be contacted directly to discuss availability and scheduling in more detail as we get closer to the tax season.
- All volunteers must attend a mandatory orientation session. Orientation will be offered virtually.
- All volunteers must consent to and pass a background check conducted by Sterling Volunteers.
- Volunteers who do not pass the background check will be notified and will not be placed in a volunteer assignment.
- All individuals will be required to wear a mask at in-person sites regardless of vaccination status.
- An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, senior citizens and individuals with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. By volunteering to provide in-person services you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Please complete the information below to secure your spot as a 2022 VITA volunteer!
- Your application must be completed and submitted in one session. If you navigate away from the page, your progress will not be saved.
- Please do not complete the application in ALL CAPS or all lower case.
- Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required and must be completed in order for your application to be submitted.
Want to learn more about VITA before applying to become a volunteer? Email Lori Riffer, initiatives manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website by: OneEach Technologies
Sitemap | Login